Electrical work can be extremely hazardous, and it’s vital that you do not attempt to fix any electrical issues yourself. Instead, call in a professional electrician that’s fully trained and accredited to provide the electrical services you need.
That way, you can rest easy knowing your home or office is safe and functional.
In Wollongong, there are many experienced electricians who can satisfy all your electrical needs with quality assurance you can depend on.
Whether your home requires installation of lighting or appliances, rewiring, an electrical safety check, or a complete smart wiring overhaul, there are plenty of dependable, efficient options around town for you to choose from.
We asked our readers from Wollongong and surrounding regions to share their experiences with leading local electricians.
Below, you will find a recommended list of the best ones. If you are not sure what you are looking for, the following checklist should help you decide which trustworthy sparkie is for you.
What makes a great electrician?
- Relevant qualifications and licenses. In NSW, all electrical contractors must be licensed. This gives you peace of mind knowing your electrician has the experience and qualifications to safely conduct all electrical work, from straightforward jobs to complex wiring.
- Knowledgeable. It pays to do some research and hire an electrician with a wealth of knowledge that only experience can deliver. The best electricians know the ins and outs of the trade. From simple household jobs to electrical emergencies, you need to be assured they can complete the job professionally.
- Reliable. The best electricians turn up on time, every time, and don’t leave you waiting. They should arrive when they say they will, be ready to work and complete the job efficiently.
- Transparent pricing. Your electrician should be upfront with you about how much things will cost. Quotes and invoices should be transparent, with no unexpected fees or charges. If any unforeseen expenses arise, you should be confident knowing this will be communicated to you and that you are getting what you pay for.
- Reliable and respectful of your property. The best electricians treat your home as if it is their own. This means keeping mess and disruption to a minimum while being careful with your belongings.
The best electricians in Wollongong
Region Illawarra’s editorial team has compiled a comprehensive list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best in Wollongong series, each business needs to have maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google and Facebook, and have plenty of positive reviews.
Illawarra Electrical & Security is ready to help customers in the Illawarra region in all of their electrical needs.
The dedicated team's wide range of services includes:
- Residential, commercial, industrial and emergency electrical
- Switchboard upgrades, Asbestos removal, safety devices and surge protection
- Security installations and surveillance
- Data, communications, aerial and solar systems
Illawarra Electrical & Security has over a decade of industry experience, having carried out over 2,200 projects for almost 1,500 happy customers.
ATD Electrical has thoughtfully built outstanding business character and a reputation for safe, quality work since its founding in 2004.
With 'Attention To Detail' as its namesake, the team takes on electrical projects for residential, commercial, mining and industrial customers throughout Wollongong and the wider Northern Illawarra region.
ATD Electrical proudly states, "Whether it’s at home or at work, big or small, ATD Electrical is determined to provide you with reliable electrical services."
Introducing D.Frame Electrical.
From head offices in Wollongong and Nowra, this high class, cost-effective company provides for the NSW South Coast, Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Sydney areas.
D.Frame Electrical is proud to have connected with clients for two decades and confident in the team's ability to service all of your electrical needs.
Reliable electricians. Flexible services. Satisfaction guaranteed.
Based in Coniston, Watt Mate Electrical provides electrical services to residential, commercial and industrial clients in Wollongong and surrounding suburbs.
Director Matt is keen to save you time, money and stress by dedicating himself to every job until clients are completely satisfied.
Thanks to years of experience, world-class equipment and commitment to only the best customer care, Watt Mate Electrical has gained a reputation for fast, fair and friendly work.
From their home office in Dapto, John McEwan Electrical provides residential, commercial and industrial clients with a full range of electrical services.
The team of fully qualified level 2 technicians install, repair and maintain electrical equipment, wiring and circuitry across the Illawarra, South Coast and Southern Highlands. Their priorities will always be world-class efficiency, safety and professionalism.
John McEwan Electrical is also your preferred emergency provider, offering 24/7 emergency callouts for Wollongong and its surrounds.
For related electrical services check out our articles on the best home automation system installers, the best appliance repair services, the best oven repair services, the best washing machine services and the best security and alarm monitoring companies in Wollongong.
You may also like our articles on the best air-conditioning services or the best plumbers our region has to offer.
Your experience with electricians in Wollongong
Special thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience hiring electricians in and around Wollongong? Which company did you use? Would you recommend it?
Share your experience in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I do some electrical jobs myself?
It is illegal, not to mention dangerous, to do most electrical jobs yourself. You can install low voltage garden lighting and pond pumps, change a blown light bulb, install battery operated smoke alarms and replace LED downlights. For everything else, find a qualified and trusted electrician.
What questions should I ask my electrician?
You should ask your electrician questions about their credentials, permits, insurance, experience, references, fees and specialities.
What qualities should an electrician have?
A good electrician should have the following qualities: mental and physical aptitude, good communication and time management, customer service skills, resilience and a safety-first mindset.
When should I get an electrician to inspect my home?
You should get an electrician to inspect your home every 10 years for an owner-occupied home and every five years for a rental home. If you are purchasing a property an electrical safety check is essential to ensure your it is safe to live in before you buy.
What are the main types of electrical services?
The three main types of electrical services are residential, commercial, and industrial.
Residential electrical services refer to works done in homes, while commercial electrical services involve works in businesses and other non-residential buildings. Industrial electrical services, meanwhile, encompass works in factories and other heavy industry facilities.