13 May 2024

Lucky Minnamurra pup saved from blaze thanks to Fire and Rescue crews

| Zoe Cartwright
Start the conversation
fire officer with rescued pup

This Minnamurra pup had a narrow escape on Tuesday after his home caught fire – fortunately, Fire and Rescue officers found him hiding under a chair. Photo: FRNSW.

A Minnamurra pup had a narrow escape last Tuesday after a suspected electrical fault set fire to a house.

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters entered the burning building and rescued the beloved pet who was sheltering under a chair.

A FRNSW spokesperson said crews from Kiama, Shellharbour and Albion Park responded to the house fire on Charles Avenue along with NSW Ambulance shortly before 7 pm on Tuesday.

“Firefighters commenced a search of the home once the blaze was under control,” the FRNSW spokesperson said.

“After several sweeps, one of the firefighters followed their instincts, rechecking under a chair and locating the distressed dog.

READ ALSO Special strike force allegedly seizes drugs, jewellery and a chainsaw

“Firefighters gave the dog a dose of oxygen therapy as a precaution and returned ‘the very good boy’ to his relieved and grateful family.”

While the blaze severely damaged the house, the family had working smoke alarms, which alerted them to the danger and allowed time for a safe evacuation.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Illawarra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Illawarra stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.