A severe thunderstorm warning for heavy rainfall and possible flash flooding has been issued for the Illawarra and parts of the South Coast.
The Bureau of Meteorology said a moist air mass supported by an upper trough is leading to the development of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and into the evening, which may lead to flash flooding in Wollongong, Nowra and Bowral.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through floodwater.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring triple zero if you need rescuing.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES on 132 500.